Monday, February 26, 2018

Who Am I? by Lonnie Crowe



I marvel at entrepreneurship.  Yet, I am a cautious consumer.  One of the current and, apparently, successful marketing trends is DNA testing to discover one’s heritage, cultural identity, and ethnicity.

Several companies are seeking to entice us with discounted testing.  We all like a discount.
Remember, I am a cautious consumer.  I do not fault the marketeers.  In fact, as a capitalist myself, I applaud them.  However, it seems to me that we might be buying the emperor’s new clothes. 

I enjoy family history.  I have several accounts written by my ancestors.  Their lives intrigue me, but do not define me.  Neither can DNA testing define me.

Who am I?

Just like everyone else who has ever lived or will ever live, I am from the seed of Adam.  I got off the ark with Noah.  Everyone who has ever walked upon this planet or who ever will walk upon this planet is, at least, my distant cousin. 

I am an American, not just because my family has lived in this land for 400 years, but because I choose to live here.  I am not blind to the blunders and frailties of our history.  However, the foundation of our nation, the vision, of our forefathers fosters an idealism that we must continually strive to attain.

I am also a Christian.  I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that He died on the cross to pay the death price for my sin, that He rose again and will return to receive His own.  Therefore, I am joined in covenant with everyone who believes the same.  We may not worship the same, baptize the same, or structure our churches the same, but we are brothers and sisters in the Lord.

So, have your DNA tested.  No matter what you learn, just remember that you are part of my family on some level or levels.  I offer to you the right hand of fellowship.

Psalm 133
1.  Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!
 2.  It is like the precious oil upon the head, Running down on the beard, The beard of Aaron, Running down on the edge of his garments.
 3.  It is like the dew of Hermon, Descending upon the mountains of Zion; For there the Lord commanded the blessing Life forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment